The Rossio square is the heart of Lisbon
This square is a traditional meeting point for weekenders and foreigners
The Dom Pedro IV Square is better known by its old name, Rossio, and border the north area of Baixa Pombalina which , for over 600 years, is the heart of Lisbon. This square marks the center of the city, it is a space that is always lively and which is known by the Portuguese sidewalk pavement.
On Rossio Square took place the most diverse initiatives, such as bullfights, festivals, military parades, political rallies and even autos-da fé, during the Inquisition. This square rose from the rubble left by the 1755 earthquake that struck Lisbon. Because of its historical burden this area is a true living book.
From the center of the square rises a column of 28 meters high with the statue of Dom Pedro IV, the first independent emperor of Brazil, built in 1870. At its base there are four female figures representing the values of justice, wisdom , strength and moderation, qualities that were attributed to Pedro IV.
In 1889 two monumental fountains of Baroque style were added to Rossio Square, one on each side of the Pedro IV column. The surface of the square is an undulating pattern of the sidewalk, which was reproduced in various parts of Portugal, on the beaches of Rio de Janeiro and also in Macau.
Despite the many changes that have taken place in the lifestyle of Lisbon over the 600 years of the Praça D. Pedro , many traditions still remain, stopping at Café Nicola, Art Deco style, which is from the west side square, or Pastelaria Suíça, which lies on the eastern side. After so many years, this square continues to be a traditional meeting point not only for the people portuguese, but also for all those who visit Lisbon.